Established in July 2011, SUGECO was initiated by a group of 40 members, primarily undergraduates in their final year of studies and postgraduate students of Sokoine University of Agriculture aspiring to start their own businesses after graduating, particularly in the agricultural sector.
To prepare, enable, and support innovative, knowledge-intensive entrepreneurs as they build
successful businesses in the agricultural, agribusiness, forestry, livestock and fishery sectors throughout Tanzania.
To create future generations of successful business persons who will transform our culture into one that values entrepreneurship, and help to create a vibrant interplay between the informal economy and at times, inaccessible formal economy.
The Sokoine University Graduate Entrepreneurs Cooperative (SUGECO) was established under the guidance of Dr. Anna Temu - a senior lecturer at the Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA). Along with the previously mentioned 40 members, staff in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness of Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA), Morogoro were also founding members. Currently, SUGECO has over 500 members, 100+ of whom are actively engaged in various agribusiness entrepreneurial activities countrywide - such as milk processing, fruits and vegetables processing, rice processing, juice making, beekeeping, goat fattening, horticultural farming, rabbit and poultry farming and micro-finance firm development, amongst many others.
SUGECO is registered under the Tanzania Cooperative Act (2003) with registration no: MGR. 620.
What We've Achieved
- Greenhouses in Dodoma, Morogoro and Rufiji.
- Successful members who participated in our agricultural trainings.
- Established micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) which received our support throughout the development process.
- Development and research innovation conducted for the SOLARTUNDA product line and research centre.
- Constructed a Solar dryer facility in Gairo for farmer usage and product enhancement.
- Established the newly-developed SUGECO Farmers brand, in order to support small-holder farmers.
Read our cooperative constitution here (Swahili only).